I finished a wall hanging today. It's a cute sorta creepy one in pinks, blues, and white. It has eyes!
The eyelashes stick out,
I like the colors but I'm undecided about the creepiness. I'm just not sure it's the style or direction I want to go in but it was interesting to try. It's in my shop here.
I finished another woven dog portrait. This one is of my sister's dog, Max. Here are some photos I took while working on it:
And here it is finished:
I had a lot of fun with this one, as usual. I decided to do Max a little different from his brothers in that I used a photo with his head a little to the side rather than completely straight on. So it's not symmetrical like the other two. I like it this way, maybe better than the other two.
It also wasn't nearly as hard as I was expecting it to be. Max has a lot of colors in his fur on his head but I managed to simplify it enough to get it done. And I'm guessing I'm getting better at making these so it seemed easier. I'm very excited to make more of these. My dad wants one of his face so maybe I'll move on to people next.
I meant to say, I got a new needle! That's how I was able to finish that weaving. We went out to ACMoore yesterday and got one. It's a metal one so hopefully it won't break but the eye is a bit small so I might order a handmade one soon. I wanted to get this one though to tide me over at least, and it does work. I was even able to get the annoying yarn with long strands on it through the eye so it's not too small, just a bit smaller than I'd prefer. At any rate, I'm glad I can weave.
My mom had requested I make her a weaving to hang on the door. She wanted it long and thin and we discussed what to put in it, the colors, and the shapes. I came up with this drawing:
She wanted hills or mountains in greens and browns, a waterfall, trees near the top, and a blue sky with a few clouds. It took me a while to do, it's been on the loom for what seems like forever, and I'm not sure why. But I finished it today.
It was fun to work on and I think it turned out pretty good. I was frustrated making the trees because the yarn I used is this strange yarn with long strands hanging from it. That's how I got it to look poofy - I had the strands come out - but it was very irritating to work with. The strands get tangled up and it's hard to see what I'm doing. I've used the yarn once before for another set of trees in a different weaving but I don't remember it being as annoying. Maybe because the trees were bigger the first time?
Other than that though, this was a cool thing to work on. My mom seems to like it a lot too so hopefully she'll enjoy seeing it on the door for a while.
My weaving needle broke yesterday so I won't be able to do much weaving work until I order a new one. I don't use shuttles (I haven't bothered to learn how since using the needle has been working fine for me.) I have been using a thin light blue plastic one that came with my little pink loom. It wasn't very sturdy to begin with so I'm not too surprised it broke. I do wish I had bought another one before this one broke.
I will work on some embroidery in the meantime. I have a couple things going right now and ideas for some other ones.
Christine, artist and maker