Which brings me to the colors: I have to look at my yarns and see if I have the right colors and those that I do not have, I have to buy. I've had to buy various shades of brown for the dogs but for Audrey I needed some for her skin and hair. I had what I needed for her dress and the background. For these portraits, I mostly need thinner yarns, though for this one, I ended up buying two chunky yarns that were problematic later.
When I'm ready to begin weaving, I use scrap string or yarn and tape to attach the line image to my loom. It hangs behind the weaving as I create it, I just fill in the shapes based on the color blocked image on my iPad. The process gets difficult the more you fill in; this is because for each of the dogs and for Audrey, the face is most complicated and I have kept the faces in the center.
It's hard for me not to criticize my work – and I'm usually pretty harsh. I will keep my negative comments here brief, for my own mental health. That being said, I feel like the reddish-orange in her neck is not the best color. It was a yarn I already had and thought it would be okay but if I could go back, I would change it. Second, I think her eyes are not the best, only because they're very dark. Maybe if the weaving were larger, I could have put more detail into them, including some lighter areas.
As for what I like about this weaving, I think the general shape of her head and hair is good. While I wish the eyes were better, I still think the details of the face are better than I was expecting them to be – I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make the shape of her mouth or nose look like an actual nose or mouth but they turned out really well. Also, and I think this is very important, I really enjoyed making this weaving. It was challenging and I was worried she wouldn't look like a human being but she does! Not just any human being, but Audrey Horne – I do think it looks like her.
I feel good about this piece and am looking forward to the next human portrait I do. I've decided to do one of Laura Palmer next. I have her image worked out and have even started a little bit of the weaving. I'm hoping to finish it before the new show starts.
I recorded myself making this whole Audrey weaving, except for the digital work on the image and parts of me weaving in the ends on the back. The total time recorded was about 18 hours! I have put the videos up on my Youtube channel. I made them in fast forward, to save time and space, and split the whole thing into three parts. I also made one that I sped up enough to get it down to one minute of video. You can see all four videos (plus the hour or so that I did live) in this playlist on Youtube. I also have the weaving up for sale in my Etsy shop here.
Christine, artist and maker