This is a 4 inch hoop in which I embroidered a portrait of a character from the video game Fallout 4 called Nick Valentine. Nick is a companion character in the game and I am hoping to make a series of these, making portraits of all the companions.
For anyone who hasn't played the game, Nick is a 'synth', or synthetic human. He is from the second generation of synths which are clearly robots but have human-like features. Parts of Nick's neck and face have been ripped off to reveal metal parts and wires inside. I tried to get not only his face correct but also the wires and things inside his neck. I worked only with black, white, and gray threads since his face is grayish and I thought it suited him. I used bright yellow for his eyes since they are glowing yellow in the game.
This was a difficult embroidery for me to do because of all the details, especially in his neck, but also because I've never done a real human portrait before. I made a Log Lady from Twin Peaks but she had a very simple face. This one I wanted to be as detailed as I could get it. I think I did a pretty good job with it and I'm excited to do the next one. I've decided I'm going to make Piper Wright next.
I finished the bird ornament and mailed it out. It got to my grandma's sister safe and she has it hanging on her tree. Here is what it ended up looking like:
Also I've put some new items in my shop and on the site here including a wall hanging and three woven pins. It was nice enough outside yesterday that I was able to work on some of the pins in the backyard.
A while back, I made my grandparents an embroidered bird Christmas ornament. This year, my grandma asked me to make another so she can send it to her sister. She wanted a near exact repeat of the one I made before so that's what I'm working on today. I've gotten this far:
I'm altering it a little bit to include an open beak and more detailed feathers. I think this one will be better than the old one.
I recently finished a set of embroidered Christmas ornaments.
Today I added two photos of my latest embroidery hoop to my embroidery page - it's one of my dogs, Timmy.
My first try at embroidering him didn't go well, the face was too fat. This was months ago. This time, I tried and again, I made his face to wide! I tried to pull some of it out and fix it but it wasn't working so I just restarted. I think it looks a lot like him now.
Here are some process photos -
Christine, artist and maker