Which brings me to the colors: I have to look at my yarns and see if I have the right colors and those that I do not have, I have to buy. I've had to buy various shades of brown for the dogs but for Audrey I needed some for her skin and hair. I had what I needed for her dress and the background. For these portraits, I mostly need thinner yarns, though for this one, I ended up buying two chunky yarns that were problematic later.
When I'm ready to begin weaving, I use scrap string or yarn and tape to attach the line image to my loom. It hangs behind the weaving as I create it, I just fill in the shapes based on the color blocked image on my iPad. The process gets difficult the more you fill in; this is because for each of the dogs and for Audrey, the face is most complicated and I have kept the faces in the center.
It's hard for me not to criticize my work – and I'm usually pretty harsh. I will keep my negative comments here brief, for my own mental health. That being said, I feel like the reddish-orange in her neck is not the best color. It was a yarn I already had and thought it would be okay but if I could go back, I would change it. Second, I think her eyes are not the best, only because they're very dark. Maybe if the weaving were larger, I could have put more detail into them, including some lighter areas.
As for what I like about this weaving, I think the general shape of her head and hair is good. While I wish the eyes were better, I still think the details of the face are better than I was expecting them to be – I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make the shape of her mouth or nose look like an actual nose or mouth but they turned out really well. Also, and I think this is very important, I really enjoyed making this weaving. It was challenging and I was worried she wouldn't look like a human being but she does! Not just any human being, but Audrey Horne – I do think it looks like her.
I feel good about this piece and am looking forward to the next human portrait I do. I've decided to do one of Laura Palmer next. I have her image worked out and have even started a little bit of the weaving. I'm hoping to finish it before the new show starts.
I recorded myself making this whole Audrey weaving, except for the digital work on the image and parts of me weaving in the ends on the back. The total time recorded was about 18 hours! I have put the videos up on my Youtube channel. I made them in fast forward, to save time and space, and split the whole thing into three parts. I also made one that I sped up enough to get it down to one minute of video. You can see all four videos (plus the hour or so that I did live) in this playlist on Youtube. I also have the weaving up for sale in my Etsy shop here.
I finally finished some weavings that were laying on my desk about a week ago. They were nearly finished but needed rods attached. I put them in my shop and posted links to them on my Tumblr but haven't had a chance to post about them here. I also finished two weavings this past week and put them in my shop and I'm pretty excited about them.
So the first few weavings below are the ones I finished from my desk:
The first one above is an orange weaving that I started a long time ago, I actually worked on it when I was still streaming on Twitch (which, by the way, I will hopefully be doing again very soon!!). You can see it here in my shop. The middle one is a tiny weaving that I think is very cute - it's here in my shop. Finally, the last one is a calming blue, green, and cream weaving which is also small but not as tiny as the middle one. It's right here in my Etsy.
And as I said, I also have put up two other weavings recently.
The first is a natural looking weaving with browns and some green and blue. The blue is actually recycled denim yarn from Wool and the Gang which I love. This weaving is in my Etsy shop here.
The second weaving is one I really like even though it is so simple. It is based on the vault jumpsuits from the video game series Fallout. This one is referring to the 111 on the back of the Vault 111 suits in Fallout 4. You can find this weaving in my Etsy shop here. It was fun making this one even though it only uses two colors which I'm not really used to. I'd like to make more with different vault numbers. I might do 101 next for the vault that the player character emerges from in Fallout 3. Or 108, which is also a vault in Fallout 3 and is one of my favorite areas in that game.
This is a 4 inch hoop in which I embroidered a portrait of a character from the video game Fallout 4 called Nick Valentine. Nick is a companion character in the game and I am hoping to make a series of these, making portraits of all the companions.
For anyone who hasn't played the game, Nick is a 'synth', or synthetic human. He is from the second generation of synths which are clearly robots but have human-like features. Parts of Nick's neck and face have been ripped off to reveal metal parts and wires inside. I tried to get not only his face correct but also the wires and things inside his neck. I worked only with black, white, and gray threads since his face is grayish and I thought it suited him. I used bright yellow for his eyes since they are glowing yellow in the game.
This was a difficult embroidery for me to do because of all the details, especially in his neck, but also because I've never done a real human portrait before. I made a Log Lady from Twin Peaks but she had a very simple face. This one I wanted to be as detailed as I could get it. I think I did a pretty good job with it and I'm excited to do the next one. I've decided I'm going to make Piper Wright next.
Christine, artist and maker